Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chicks with Guns 2008






These images went inside an artist book that I did on gun culture. Guns are equated with strength and power because of their ability to easily exterminate life. I was researching images of women holding guns because of their association with men. The only ones I could really find were hypersexualized. Bathing Suit clad babes holding huge phallic killing machines. At this same time, I was learning more about the idea of the "other". In hip-hop culture, guns as well as "bling" are status symbols. The bigger the better. Byron Hurt and Jackson Katz equate guns to being the ultimate equalizer. So I juxtaposed my images of strong women holding guns in a confrontational manner with the images I was finding on the internet. I treated the images differently as well. The male fantasy driven images were printed on velum and treated with a abrasive filter and were accompanied by phrases that referred to masturbatory actions, whereas, the images I created were full color, strong, bold and stood on their own. I will post some images of the final book.

No comments:

Post a Comment